Careers and employability
Our degrees will equip you with the analytic and creative skills, experience and confidence to pursue careers in and outside the media industries. As well as learning about how the media industries work through the modules you study, you will have access to a regular programme of industry speakers, a series of networking events and optional placements.
Journalism students are guaranteed a 3 week placement within the broadcasting industry, in line with the requirements of the accrediting body, the Broadcast Journalism Training Council. Film, Media and Photography and New Media students can take a placement module in their final year.
86% of our graduates were employed or studying six months after graduating in 2016, according to the Destination of Leavers from Higher Education (DHLE) survey.
Recent graduates have secured positions at companies including:
- Broadcasters Bauer Media, BBC, ITV, Sky and Reuters
- Digital marketing companies Epiphany Solutions and Acceleris
- Production companies Kudos, Nine Lives Media and Sister Pictures
- PR and marketing agencies Ilk Agency and Brass Agency.
Media Futures is a series of talks and practical workshops designed to help develop students’ confidence and career prospects.
Recent speakers and topics have included:
- Freelancing advice from Alec Dudson, founder and editor-in-chief of Intern Magazine
- Life on the road as a foreign reporter by BBC journalist, Nicola Kelly
- How to report terror with ITN news editor, ITN news editor, Richard Frediani
- Google workshop on how to write for social media.
We offer career mentoring with professionals working in digital media companies, journalism, PR, film, TV, photography and radio. You will gain one-to-one careers advice, realistic insight into your chosen profession and networking opportunities.
Students have been matched with companies including:
- Design agencies Bolser and EatFishDesign
- Digital marketing agencies Dynamic and Inskin
- PR company JWing
- Production companies DaisyBeck Studios, Meridian Line Films, Reel Films and Viacom
- Search engine Google.
Our career mentoring scheme is currently open to students who will be in their second year of study in 2018/19. Please contact Sam Gill for more information.