The Journalism Research Group at the School of Media and Communication meets regularly to bring together staff and research postgraduate students with an interest in journalism, broadly defined. Our members consist of specialists in journalism practice and research, though most have experience in both areas, and the interests of members cut across the many strands of communications research underway at the School. The group also welcomes members from other schools and aims to encourage interdisciplinary collaboration.
The Journalism Research Group meets throughout the year for presentations and discussion of research, pedagogy and current issues in journalism. The group organises a range of activities with members and guest speakers including:
- Seminars with journalist practitioners to reflect on their work.
- Seminars with journalism scholars to reflect on their work.
- Reading group seminars on specific topics/current issues.
- Seminars on methods for researching journalism.
- Workshops to explore cutting edge developments in journalism.
- Opportunities to explore possibilities for collaborative research
For more information about the group, and to get involved in its activities, please contact the current coordinator, Julie Firmstone, email@example.com