Roger Stevens Lecture Theatre 1
During this introductory lecture, professional photographer Karl Blackwell will discuss how to make the step from being a creative taker of photos to launching a successful career by focusing on:
- What equipment to use
- Determining your specializations – who to target: corporate, commercial or editorial?
- Your first assignments – how to get them
- Working as a staffer versus working as a freelancer
- Pricing your work – setting your fees and learning how to negotiate
- Valuing and protecting your work
- Social media – how to market yourself and your photos through social media.
In over 20 years as a professional photographer Karl Blackwell has specialized in travel, lifestyle, portrait and commercial photography, including food & beverage photography. He has photographed more than 30 travel books, for Lonely Planet, Michelin and Time Out around the world. He works with leading hotel chains such as Four Seasons, Raffles and Hilton Hotels and with some of the world’s top chefs. He’s worked for commercial clients such as Canon (photographing worldwide advertising campaigns) and for the world’s largest ad agencies such as JWT. Karl has photographed bands including the Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen and Coldplay for agencies and publications around the world and has exhibited worldwide.